In this post, I will write about the importance of positive thinking in life. But before I begin, I would like to share with you that I am not some expert who fully masters positive thinking 24 hours a day. I am just an ordinary person, with everyday circumstances, interactions with people and the challenges that life brings, and I often find myself in a zone of negative thinking. And when I write articles on certain topics, in this case the importance of positive thinking, I also continue to learn, gather knowledge and test it in practice. Some techniques suit me very well, some don’t at all, but it’s especially important for me to progress every day, even if only in small steps.
A definition of a positive mindset
Positive thinking is the achievement of an emotionally and mentally mature balance that maintains a positive approach despite being aware of and accepting the downsides of life.
In Wikipedia, positive thinking refers to optimism, which is explained as a mental attitude or world view that interprets situations and events as being best.
In Collins dictionary is positive thinking optimistic attitude (encourage positive thinking and a focused attitude towards life, especially when it comes to building new relationships) and a technique for changing your attitude and fostering optimism (the effect which thoughts can have on life has been proved by people who have tried positive thinking, mind dynamics or visualization).
Practicing positive thinking
With the positive thinking you can transform your life for the better in unimaginable proportions, your mind is unbelievably powerful.
I recommend practicing positive thinking to everyone because I also try to practice positive thinking every day. Most of our inner dialogue or self-talk (unspoken thoughts flowing through our mind) is negative. And that’s why we’re more pessimistic. But we can learn optimism. This means that we can learn how to think positively if we adopt an optimistic mindset. When the state of mind is positive and optimistic, it’s easier to cope with everyday circumstances.
Tips for positivity
We can improve our condition with positive thinking techniques. There are many techniques, . I will list a few tips for positivity.
- Believe in yourself and that you can create a successful reality. Believe that you will succeed in fulfilling your goals.
- Start turning negative thoughts into positive ones. Start consciously controlling your thoughts, and when you catch yourself thinking negatively, replace the thought with a positive one.
- Focus on the good things in life, on what you want rather than what you don’t want.
- Practice positive affirmation. Repeat a positive phrase to yourself on a regular basis.
- Use positive words when talking. Like controlling your thoughts, start controlling words, and replace negative words with positive ones.
- Relax and let things happen. Don’t burden yourself with things you have no control over.
- Surround yourself with people who think positively. Positivity is contagious, you should socialize with people who share it and you share it too.
- Look at the big picture and learn to let go of the things that don’t really matter.
- Be grateful and remember your blessings. You have many reasons every day for which you can be grateful.
- Meditate. Meditation relaxes, relieves stress, encourages positive thinking.
- Read positive books – books designed to elevate and improve positive thinking, or lighthearted books with happy endings.
- Make positive thinking a habit and become a positive person.
Impact of positivity on our lives
Once you learn to think optimistically and positively, you will begin to notice changes within and outside of yourself. The brain will work in a state of hormones called endorphins (the hormone of happiness) that will make you feel better and happier. You will increase your self-confidence, improve your self-esteem, you will become braver, more open and relaxed.
- Better mental and physical well-being;
- Better coping with stress;
- Longer life;
- Lower levels of depression and distress;
- Better and faster progress toward goals;
- Better performance in work, school and sports;
- Better relationships with other people;
- Better motivation to help others.
My Top 20 positive quotes
This is list of my top 20 best positive quotes (about positivity, optimism, life, motivation, inspiration). You can make your own list, you can print these quotes and hang them in a prominent place.
»Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.« Willie Nelson
»I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.« Walt Disney
»Your smile will give you a positive countenance that will make people feel comfortable around you.« Les Brown
»If we have the attitude that it’s going to be a great day it usually is.« Catherine Pulsifier
»Your passion is waiting for your courage to catch up.« Isabelle Lafleche
»If you believe it’ll work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you don’t believe it’ll work out, you’ll see obstacles.« Wayne Dyer
»Unsuccessful people make their decisions based on their current situations. Successful people make their decisions based on where they want to be.« Benjamin Hardy
»If you work on something a little bit every day, you end up with something that is massive.« Kenneth Goldsmith
»Sometimes when you’re in a dark place you think you’ve been buried but you’ve actually been planted.« Christine Caine
»Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.« Arthur Ashe
»Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.« Maya Angelou
»Today is your opportunity to build the tomorrow you want.« Ken Poirot
»I choose to make the rest of my life, the best of my life.« Louise Hay
»If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.« Angelina Jolie
»Do the best you can. No one can do more than that.« John Wooden
»It’s never too late to be what you might’ve been.« George Eliot
»You never know what you can do until you try.« William Cobbett
»The world is full of nice people. If you can’t find one, be one.« Nishan Panwar
»You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.« C.S. Lewis
»Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.« Rumi
Thank you for reading my post The importance of positive thinking in life. Maybe you learned something new, maybe you remembered something you already knew, maybe you got some idea, and if you want to share this with me, I will be very happy for your comment.